Introduction of the ISO 14001 to the disaster recovery – part 6/8.
What are the main features of the latest tank fire extinguishing systems?
- The amount of foaming agent necessary for extinguishing is less than 10% of the amount used by former techniques
- The foam is not produced at the place and time of fire fighting, but well in advance, when the extinguishing equipment is installed
- Until the moment of starting the tank fire extinguishing, the pre-mixed foam is stored in a pressure vessel near the flammable liquid tank to be protected
- When calculating the foam amount necessary for extinguishing, foam intensity and the prescribed foam cover thickness increases in proportion to the fire surface, and the total foam volume is calculated with a 200–500% safety factor
- The pipelines and nozzles used for foam introduction are dimensioned by hydraulic calculations in order to comply with the prescribed foam introduction time limit: the upper time limit for introducing the entire foam volume is two minutes
- No pressure booster device is necessary, the foam flow is driven by the internal pressure of the foam tank.
- No auxiliary energy is needed for the operation of the fire alarm system and the start of extinguishing
- An independent extinguishing apparatus is installed for each tank or tank group, and these apparatuses have no common elements
- The response time of the fire sensors is five to ten seconds, the extinguishing time is max. 2 minutes.
- The equipment only has one moving part, a valve; therefore, it offers extremely high operation safety
- Human error caused by stress is excluded
- Maintenance and periodical checks are cheap and very simple
- Foam pipes are simple devices without any opening and diminution in diameter
- This system can even be deployed at places without fire water supply (military deployment sites, provisional fuel tanks, storage sites in a desert or in exposed places)
- Besides tank protection, it is also suitable for the protection of other dangerous substance stores (engine compartment of military vehicles, generator motors, stores of flammable chemicals, ammunition and pyrotechnic substances)
Tank fire extinguishing: impact of the new technology on environmental safety
- From the aspect of environmental safety, this is unambiguously the best solution due to the very short burning time and the small amount of extinguishing agent used, air, soil and water pollution can be practically avoided
- Its operation is not dependent on any critical infrastructure
- Individual independent systems provide an increased level of safety
- Time lost by preparations is avoided by automatic operation
- A small amount of agent is used which ensures cost efficiency
- The technology has a simple structure and thus a high level of operating safety. During experiments, the equipment was able to put out petrol fire spread over 500 square meters in 25 and 46 seconds
to be continued…